Orphea is a character from none of the Blizzard franchises, she was created purely for the Nexus in the role of an assasin. Our Heroes of the Storm boosting team has not predicted that Orphea will be joining the Nexus in our Who Is The Next HotS Hero infopost, however, we have many other possible hero predictions. Orphea’s release date is November 13th, 2018. Without further ado, let’s dig in…
Pros & Cons
+ Great burst damage
+ Decent sustained damage
+ Fair wave clear
+ Some self-sustain from Trait
– Low range on abilities
– No crowd control except heroic
– Abilities have a short cast time
[TRAIT] Overflowing Chaos – Hitting an enemy Hero with a Basic Ability grants 1 Chaos. Chaos can stack up to 3 times.
While Orphea has Chaos, her Basic Attacks against Heroes consumes all Chaos, dealing 50% increased damage per stack, and healing for 100% of the damage dealt.
This is the source of extra damage from basic attacks and self-healing from them. The best way to utilize this ability is to stack up 3 stacks (maximum) and then use the basic attacks.
[Q] Shadow Waltz –
After 0.5 seconds, deal 150 (+4% per level) damage to enemies in a line.
Hitting a Hero with Shadow Waltz sets its cooldown to 2 seconds, refunds 40 Mana, and causes Orphea to dash a short distance upon moving.
Orphea’s main “spammable” ability, 6 seconds cooldown if you don’t hit an enemy hero and 2 seconds if you do. Meaning you can spam it quite often and combine with your trait’s auto attack bonus for great sustained damage, however, you need to learn how to aim properly.
After the ability completes, you can dash in any direction you want, passing through units but not through terrain and structures.
[W] Chomp – After 0.625 seconds, deal 285 (+4% per level) damage to nearby enemies in front of Orphea.
This is Orphea’s highest damage ability, it has a short range, longer cast time, therefore it limits it’s usage. You will usually combo it after a great Shadow Waltz to close the gap between you and the enemy.
[E] Dread – Release a wave of dread that deals 85 (+4% per level) damage to enemies hit. Dread erupts 0.75 seconds after reaching the end of its path, dealing 175 (+4% per level) damage and Slowing enemies in the area by 25% for 2 seconds.
This is an ability that has a longer range and is used to fill in the combo most of the time or hit immobilized targets. The best way would be is to hit a target running away in a straight path/stunned with the wave + erupt. Erupt has a slight delay as well, consider it while aiming.
[R1] Eternal Feast – After 1.5 seconds, deal 210 (+4% per level) damage in an area. Eternal Feast repeats every 1 second as long as it hits an enemy Hero.
Orphea’s first heroic ability was designed as a follow up on abilities such as Ring of Frost or E.T.C.’s Mosh Pit. It has a very long cast of 1.5 secs meaning that enemies have plenty of time to move unless they’re CC’d. It can also be used as a zoning tool out of objectives but like I said, it won’t do much if the enemies have already moved.
[R2] Crushing Jaws – After 1.25 seconds, pulls enemies in an area towards the center, dealing 275 (+4% per level) damage and Stunning them for 0.75 seconds.
Orphea’s second Heroic ability that our HotS boosting team believes will see the most light. It has a little shorter cast time than Eternal Feast, provides Orphea’s first hard crowd control and can make or break a teamfight. Using it on 2 or more heroes is advised. It also allows you to spit out your whole combo and do some ridiculous damage.
Orphea Talent Build
Level 1 – Ancestral StrengthNon-Heroic Abilities deal 25% more damage to Stunned, Rooted, Silenced or Slowed enemies and grant 1 additional Chaos when hitting Heroes. Our Heroes of the Storm boosting team strongly believes Orphea should be played in synergy with crowd control heroes since she lacks them, and this talent is easier for most players than the Q build.
Level 4 – Fright Dread’s Slow also applies to enemies in Dread’s path, and stacks up to 50%.
Goes well with the first talent Ancestral Strength in order to bring you more slowing, that trigger your Ancestral Strength talent.
Level 7 – Ravenous Hunger Quest: Minions that die within 1.5 seconds of being hit by Chomp permanently increase its damage by 2 and heal Orphea for 60 (+4% per level).
A fair quest talent that gives you more damaged by killing minions and heroes.
Level 10 – Crushing Jaws After 1.25 seconds, pulls enemies in an area towards the center, dealing 275 (+4% per level) damage and Stunning them for 0.75 seconds.
We believe Crushing Jaws to be the more viable heroic.
Level 13 – DeterminationAfter dashing with Shadow Waltz, Orphea gains 50 Spell Armor, stacking up to 2 times. While Orphea has Determination, her Physical damage is increased by 15%.
A decent filler talent.
Level 16 – Lurking Terror
After Dread erupts and for 2 seconds after, activate to cast Chomp from the eruption area. Does not share a cooldown with Chomp.
A great talent that allows you to cast another Chomp on backline/escaping targets.
Level 20 – Engulfing OblivionCrushing Jaws reduces the Armor of Heroes hit by 25 for 2 seconds. Takedowns set its cooldown to 5 seconds.
Pretty self explainatory, more damage and cooldown reduction.
Tips & Tricks
1. You should aim to basic attack ASAP when you hit 3 Chaos stacks from your Trait. Know that, hitting multiple heroes with your abilities will grant a stack for each one of them.
2. Practice aiming your [Q] Shadow Waltz because the cooldown is reduced significantly when you land it, down to 2 seconds. It also has a 0.5 seconds cast time, meaning enemies that are monitoring you can easily dodge it and you need to count in the cast time when deciding where to strike.
3. Use your Shadow Waltz’s dash to dodge enemy skillshots and get away from melees that you probably just hit with your Q, or if you’re in advantage, use it to chase down enemies and set up your next abilities.
4. [W] Chomp can be deadly for you if you try and run into enemies just to get a cast, don’t do that, be wise and careful. Try a good Q+E > Dash > W > Q > Dash to a safe position. It can also swallow a whole minion wave if you need to wave clear.
5. When using [E] Dread, note that erupt has a small delay, therefore predict where your enemy will be at the erupt point and try to cast it at stunned or fleeing targets.
6. If you decide to play with [R1] Eternal Feast, make sure to use it when enemy players are crowd controlled in order to get the effect done for as long as possible.
6. In order to have your [R2] Crushing Jaws land successfully, use it after the enemies have been stunned or you know for a certain they do not have dashing abilities to get out of it.
Thank you for reading our guide, good luck with Orphea, for even better Mal’Ganis coaching, hire our professional HotS coaching experts.