Mephisto In Short
“The evil of Mephisto, Lord of Hatred, was so pervasive that even after he had been defeated and entombed in a soulstone, his demonic essence oozed upwards into Travincal and corrupted the Zakarum priests. Though he fell to the same heroes who killed his brothers, I fear for us should he ever return.” – Deckard Cain
Mephisto now joins the Nexus as a ranged assassin who focuses on AoE and sustained damage all packed in within an aggressive playstyle that consists of avoiding crowd control if played right. We’d like to add that our HotS boosting team has predicted Mephisto joining the Nexus in our Who Is The Next HotS Hero post. Mephisto’s release date is September 4th, 2018.
And a fun fact before we begin, Mephisto actually appeared in the promo trailer for the Heroes Founder’s Pack along with Baal.
Pros & Cons
+ Sustained damage
+ AoE damage
+ Able to dodge Crowd Control
+ Rewarding for players who can position well
+ Decent wave clear
– Low burst damage
– Can’t solo carry
– No crowd control
– Weak against targets who can stick to him
[TRAIT] Lord Of Hatred – Hitting enemies with basic abilities reduces Mephisto’s basic abilities cooldown.
The goal with this trait is to constantly use your basic abilities such as Q to poke and reduce the cooldown on them, of course, manage your mana wisely.
[Q] Skull Missile – Conjure a skull that travels in the target direction after 0.75 seconds, dealing 127 damage to enemies hit and Slowing Heroes hit by 25% for 2 seconds.
This ability pierces through targets and you should always position yourself to hit as many heroes as possible, basically whole Mephisto’s playstyle revolves around hitting as many people as possible with your abilities.
[W] Lightning Nova – A ring of lightning appears around Mephisto for 2.5 seconds. Enemies within the ring take 48 damage every 0.25 seconds. Each time a cast of Lightning Nova hits a Hero, its damage is increased by 4%, up to 40%.
Mephisto’s area of effect ability. Again, your goal is to get as many people as possible inside the area of effect without exposing yourself too much.
[E] Shade of Mephisto – Teleport to a location, dealing 78 damage to nearby enemies and leaving behind a Shade of Mephisto at Mephisto’s original location. After 2.5 seconds, Mephisto is teleported back to the Shade’s location.
This is your mobility ability, there are many offensive and defensive ways to use and we’ll cover them further in the guide.
[R1] Consume Souls – Channel for 2.5 seconds, revealing all enemy Heroes. After the Channel completes, all enemy Heroes take 357 damage and are Slowed by 40% for 2.5 seconds.
Ability oddly similar to Karthus’ from League of Legends. This ability is channeled and reveals all enemy heroes on the map, dealing damage to them and slowing them.
[R2] Durance of Hate – After 1 second, unleash a wave of evil spirits that Root the first enemy Hero hit for 2 seconds and deal 160 damage to them over the same duration. Durance of Hate spreads outwards from its initial target, Rooting and damaging additional nearby enemy Heroes
First Crowd Control ability Mephisto can obtain, it’s decent for setting up combos for your team, again better when more enemies are nearby.
The best build is by far the spell power + Q build, this is what our HotS boost squad currently plays.
Level 1 – [E] Malicious Intent
Shade of Mephisto grants 20% Spell Power while active and for 2.5 seconds after ending.
Level 4 – [W] Static Barrier
At the end of its duration, Lightning Nova grants Mephisto a Shield equal to 50% of the damage it dealt to Heroes. Lasts 7 seconds.
Level 7 – [E] Ghastly Armor
Shade of Mephisto grants 20 Armor while active and for 2.5 seconds after it ends.
Level 10 – [R1] Consume Souls
Channel for 2.5 seconds, revealing all enemy Heroes. After the Channel completes, all enemy Heroes take 357 damage and are Slowed by 40% for 2.5 seconds.
Level 13 – [Q] Abhorred Skull
Hitting a Hero with Skull Missile grants 20% Spell Power for 6 seconds.
Level 16 – [Q] Lightning Reaction
Skull Missile explodes on contact with Lightning Nova, dealing 144 damage to nearby enemies.
Level 20 – [W] Mimic
While both Shade of Mephisto and Lightning Nova are active, Lightning Nova also casts from the Shade’s location.
Mephisto is countered by enemies who can stick to him and not let him go.
Tips & Tricks
1. Make sure to stack up your first level quest as soon as possible.
2. Your Lord of Hatred Trait will not give cooldown reduction when hitting minions, only heroes.
3. Your Q pierces through targets, therefore try to hit as many heroes as possible.
4. Your Q, Skull Missile has a small casting time, take it in consideration when aiming.
5. With our build, your combo is R1 > W > Q for maximum burst damage.
6. Use your E carefully, for instance when Arthas uses his root, time your E so that you return back when the effect is already over.
7. Mephisto thrives on any map where people stack up for an objective is good, as the primary goal is to hit as many enemies as possible with your Q and W. They are, so called, choke points.
8. Make sure to pick Mephisto in team compositions that can peel away enemy divers and flankers off you, such as the ones from the Counters section.
9. Your E teleport leaves a mark where you will teleport back, making it easier for enemies to snipe you down.
10. You will teleport back if you’re stunned or disabled, but not if you’re silenced.
11. W Lightning Nova’s range is about the same as your auto attacks, take it into consideration when casting and maximizing damage output. It would probably be a good idea to learn how to stutter step as well, our Heroes of the Storm boosting squad suggests.